Tuesday 16 February 2016

Prom-posals and my singularity.

It is that season again, the season when boys seem to fling expensive flowers, pastel pink letters and heart-shaped chocolates towards the general direction of the female gender in hopes of getting an agreement to accompany them to prom. 

Michelle and Mr. Botak are both dating, so it's only right for him to prom-pose, getting down on one knee and earning tears from a couple of people invited to the private event, and by people I mean me. In a school where gossip is faster than the wifi, it is no surprise everybody is hyped to find out who is going to prom with who, who's going alone, who's not going...etc. So conversations tend to fall into a couple generalised formats. 

Example 1:
Student 1: OMG. Did you hear about how Harry asked Mindy to prom?
Student 2: OMFG! Yes! It was literally the cutest thing, he asked her when they were rock climbing and when she was at the top and she looked down, he was below holding up a sign asking she to prom! 
Student 1: Aww. That is literally the cutest thing ugh, I wish someone would ask me.

Example 2:
Student 1: Did you hear that Ricky isn't going to prom?
Student 2: OMG. Why not?
Student 1: Apparently it's because he does not want to deal with the drama of having to find a date!
Student 2: As if anybody would go with him.
(both of them laugh) 

Example 3:
Student 1: I JUST GOT ASKED TO PROM!!!
Students 2,3,4,5.....10: OMG TELL US EVERYTHING. 
(group hug) 
Student 1: Well, Isaac took me to watch a Bollywood movie and like after the movie he surprised me with flowers and my favourite song, he is so sweet.
Rest of the students: Awwwwwwwwww.....

Just like the rest of us who grew up watching Disney channel original movies, or any other tween love stories, you know the cute nerd is always entitled to a hot prom date. We love and crave the story where the underdog gets a hot stud/chick. We have been conditioned to want a similar story to tell, to feel that prom is something special. Peer pressure does wonders too. More importantly I want it.

I want that feeling of someone asking me to prom, giving me a bouquet of flowers, I want that person to be nervous, blushing beet red, hoping I say yes. I want to feel the superficial, puppy love. But, I know I will never get that. and it sucks. Maybe in a perfect world I could get a boy to ask me out, but it's not. 

Yours truly, 
Ez

P.S. I know its stupid to want this, but I don't give a crap. Michelle might be making her debut in an upcoming post. how exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment